Thursday, March 5, 2009

Slow and Steady

This morning I woke up early and made myself some breakfast. Usually I run first thing in the morning, but as it's spring break and the school gym doesn't open until 11am, I thought it best to eat something. While digesting I watched the Biggest Loser episode that has caused so much controversy and decided to go out and buy myself a scale. I think one problem I have with my weight loss is motivation. A lot of my progress isn't tangible, and things like being unable to run for a week really set me back emotionally and physically. While I was at home for the weekend, I binged like no other. There's no accountability for me. I figure if I mandate weekly weigh-ins for myself, I would stick with changes more. So this morning, after watching the edited version of the Biggest Loser (sans Dane's marathon drama), I set out for Target. Surely, they would have a scale. It took me a few minutes, but I finally found the isle with yoga, pilates, and strength equipment, as well as the ONE friggin' scale in the store... which would set me back FIFTY DOLLARS. Hell no! I spend less than than on groceries every week. Less than that on electricity and gas. Combined. I simply can't afford something that pricey right now. I'd much rather save the money for my next pair of running shoes.

Saddened, I went to three more stores looking. I left three more stores empty handed. So while I really would have liked to start my weekly weigh-ins tomorrow, it looks like it'll have to weight. Ha. Get it? ...Anyway, the scale at the gym is broken, which is what prompted me to want to buy my own, so it looks like I'll be ordering one off the internet. Oh, well! I'm going to try my best and be good until I can lay my hands on tangible motivation. I gave up candy two days ago, so we'll see how that goes. I just have NO will power when it comes to chocolate. I took before pictures of myself in a sports bra and spandex. Hopefully that will be motivation enough, for now.

So after my let-down of a search for a scale, I hit the gym. I was still winded and in pain, like yesterday, but I was able to push myself to at least get in a mile this time. And I upped the speed to 5.4 mph! Then I walked 5:00, and finished with another 0.5 miles at 5.5 mph. So today I totaled 1.5 miles. Not bad, considering my abysmal beginning yesterday. I kind of want to just forget that happened.

No comments: