Sunday, January 31, 2010

"Running" Errands

Wow! My cold-temperature run went much better than anticipated. The beginning of my training for the half-marathon has been off to a rough start, and today got me (more or less) back on track! My basic training plan is to run 2-3 days during the week nice and easy and then do one long run per week on Saturdays, increasing the long run by 0.5 miles every week. I missed my first 2.0 miler because the gym wasn't open yet and I was afraid of the cold air, then I was swamped with work last week and had to cut out the gym from my schedule.

Yesterday, according to my schedule, I was to run 3.0 miles, but I just wasn't prepared. I couldn't mentally get myself together to get to the gym and get on the DREADmill, plus I was dehydrated. I spent last night organizing my life, taking it easy and relaxing by myself, and hydrating. REALLY hydrating. Then I woke up, had a cup of tea and a clementine, and decided, "To hell with the gym with it's stuffy air and too few machines!"

I have asthma, so the cold air typically does a number on me, but I had never run outside in such cold temperatures before (22 F, when I ran past a thermometer outside a store front). Usually, come first snow fall, I am at the gym until all the snow goes away, then I make my way bake outside. Add the the asthma problems my inability to stay upright while walking in ice-free conditions (my mom has been known to call me 'Grace' for my complete lack of it), cold weather in central Mass scares me. A lot! But as of today, I had had enough, and set out to run my favorite 3.0 mile route, albeit a day late.

Like I said, it went surprisingly well! I finished in 33:47, for an average pace of about 11:15. The only times I stopped running were at lights (but I jogged in place), and then I had to do some banking (lol), so I paused my watch and "ran my errands." I hadn't noticed the effects the cold had on me until I got inside, when I started wheezing. Just have to be a little careful about that, and consciously pay attention to my breathing, I suppose.

So yeah, success in the cold! Not my favorite, but it's doable and doesn't cause too much damage. I don't think I could run much colder than this though... the wind chill was 9 F! It was bitterly cold when I started, but once I got warmed up it wasn't so bad at all, especially because it's quite sunny today. It started to get cold again near the end when I started sweating - once I acquire some funds I'll have to invest in a ColdGear UnderArmour shirt...

1 comment:

Colsten Farms said...

It sounds like you're doing really really well!