Saturday, January 16, 2010

New Year, New Goal

So on a Saturday night, I found myself at a website listing all of the half-marathons this coming year. I don't know what prompted me to search for them, but once I was there I typed in Massachusetts. Lo and behold, there is a half in Worcester this June - the first half the city has ever held. June 13th, 2010. Since my goal is to run 10 miles by May, why not just add a 5k to that by June? I can totally do that, and paying $55 to enter a race is plenty of motivation for me to keep at it - I don't want to waste my money! I won't be able to enter until next week when I get paid, but I've already settled on it.

Funnily enough, since I started running casually 2 years ago, I've never ran a road race, even though the majority of my runs are around the 5k distance, which just so happens to be the most common race distance. Oh well, looks like I'm skipping a few steps and going straight to the half. But who knows? Maybe I'll find a shorter training race in between now and then. I've got about 6 months to go - better get crackin'!

No comments: