Sunday, February 14, 2010

4.0 miles. Yikes!

Yesterday I set out for my long run, a whopping 4 miles, and the longer than any other outdoor ran I've ever attempted. I set out around noon, after it had warmed up a little (30 F) and after I had eaten some fruit. Within the first few minutes, I could already feel my quads burning, which is odd for me, as usually it's my lungs that do me in, not my legs.

I had planned out the 4 mile loop to be identical to my 3 miler up until the first mile, at which point I would take a turn and tread on completely new territory. For the first mile I kept telling myself, "it's okay to just stick to your normal route and do 3, you don't feel 100%." Then I got to the one mile mark and took the turn, because I'm not okay with giving up anymore. The run was hard, one of the most difficult in my memory, but I ran the whole way. I had to stop around the 2.75 mark to catch my breath a little (the cold makes my asthma act up) and stretch out my muscles for a minute or so, which really helped. Incidentally, I mapped out a course that was a gradual incline, so most of the last mile was a bit downhill (my legs were grateful).

I ran the 4 miles in 52:14 for a 13:04 pace. Again, a bit slower than I'd like to see, but I completed the run and that's what really matters, at least for now. Yesterday's run not only marks the furthest I've ever run outdoors, but also the longest duration that I've ever run, so even if I was slow, it's pretty exciting.

Now, as for unraveling why I may have been slow (I should be around 11:30-12:00 splits):
-I gave blood this week, and it left me feeling a little tired and weak.
-I have not worked out since last Sunday, when I did my 3.5 miler. I need interim workouts!
-I think I may have been a little bit dehydrated.
-I could have woken up earlier and eaten more.

All things I can work on! Except for the blood thing, but that is an irregular occurrence.

1 comment:

Colsten Farms said...

Congrats on your 4 miler! Exciting!